[rescue] anyone know about printers? epson lq870

Arthur Wouk awouk at ra.nilenet.com
Sat Apr 13 18:14:11 CDT 2002

my trusty epson lq870 suddenly has stopped printing. the power on led
goes on, but everything else is dead. the motor doesn't turn, etc.
the damned cooling fan is running!

is there anyone with any clues as to how to proceed? is there anything
i can do internally which makes sense?  is there a hidden fuse
somewhere?

if not:

any suggestions as to the most sensible replacement for a very light
duty home operation largely devoted to making notes for my failing
memory?  i am interested in bringing up gimp on my sparc 2 and/or 10
and doing some photographic work, however, and was thinking of going
to a more modern printer. i have ghostscript working, but not in use.