[rescue] Maybe FS: ChallengeXL R10K and R8K

maxadam at uchicago.edu maxadam at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 12 03:30:15 CDT 2002

I have an SGI ChallengeXL R10K and an R8K that I am probably never going to
spend the time and money to get powered up, (they require 208V @ 30A, and while
it is in an industrial space with plenty of power in the basement the pain
involved in getting the required power to them is daunting).  My question is
this: does anyone on this list know of anyone that would be willing to buy one
or both?  I imagine a small college somewhere with plenty of facilities but few
cash resources to get current hware.

Alternatively: anyone interested in helping, (cash and/or time), to help run
power up four stories and fire them up?  the cool factor is very high, but
unless we can find someone willing to actually use them for something then they
are just going to be running SETI and sucking great gobs of electrons and it's
not really worth the effort.

Also Alternatively, we might consider parting them out.  8 system boards in the
R10, and I think 4 in the R8, I think they are both 4 proc, IIRC they have a gig
of ram each, they have groovy FDDI interconnect card thingies, I think it's the
cray thing, and I have two extra in boxes. (I obviously have no idea of what I'm
talking about here, but that has never stopped me before =) )

thanks
--
max