[rescue] sparc 5 solaris installation

Klaasjan Brand kjb at studenten.net
Tue Apr 9 13:22:12 CDT 2002

Hi there,

I've acquired a Sparcstation 5 and the free Solaris 8 cd's. I'm trying
to install it using an external SCSI cd-rom (yamaha cdr400t). The cd-rom
is detected correctly by the Sparc 5 and "boot cdrom" starts booting the
SunOS kernel. My problem: after loading the kernel I get the error
message "vfs:mountroot: cannot mount root" and the machine reboots.
I've tried:
- changing the "block size" jumper on the back of the cd-rom (is this
neccessary for a Sparc 5? It boots in both states...)
- manually entering kernel/root fs parameters

As a backup plan I'd like to know if anybody managed to install Solaris
8 from a Linux/FreeBSD server? The network install server setup scripts
provided on the Solaris cd's seem to work only on Solaris...

greets and thanks in advance for advice 8),
Klaasjan