[rescue] Sparc 20 case mod

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Apr 8 02:14:45 CDT 2002

On Sun, 2002-04-07 at 14:42, Big Endian wrote:
> Ok, I have a sparc 20 with a heat issue.  I have an SM-61, an HME,
> one of those NPI DAS fddi boards (which I have solaris drivers for
> the NPI firmwared ones), and an Efficient Networks ENI-155.  As this
> box is going to become one of my two core routers I may add a second
> cpu (will solaris 8 take advantage of this in the routing code? or do
> I just need something studlier?)  This box is already overheated and
> is starting to freeze hard.  So I have decided that it needs studlier
> fans.  I have a pair of 12v 3" fans at my disposal for this and I'm
> wondering if anybody has experience in cooling specifically the card
> area of an SS20?  I've seen Brian Hechinger's sparc 20 mods but I
> want something that will augment the existing (if small) airflow.  I
> was thinking of mounting the fan between the side of the case and the
> last sbus card and punching a hole through the top of the case.  I
> would also add a baffle to allow all 3" of the fan to draw air of out
> the machine.  I would also attach heat sinks to the ASICs on the
> ENI-155 like what PC clockers put on their ram.

Are you sure it doesn't just need a good cleaning, and life in an
air-conditioned room?  They're a bit thin on cooling, but not that
thin.  I've seen some that had to deal with a lot more heat than you
have there, and they ran just fine on stock cooling.  Maybe just beefing
up the power supply fans would suffice.

> am I nuts?

Obviously, you read this list, don't you?  :-)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.