[rescue] Indy Boot Problems

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 6 21:46:08 CST 2002

Hi,

     I just rescued an Indy that won't boot: "Interrupt Exception / CPU
Parity Error".  It looks like that error can be caused by a PROM that
doesn't support the CPU, bad cache on the CPU, or a bad CPU.  The part
number of the PROM on the system board is 070-9101-004.

     I don't know if this makes any difference, but the system gets far
enough in the boot process that the initializes the graphics (Newport,
8bit) and displays the error on the graphical console.  However, the error
occurs before the "Press <ESC> for System Maintenance" message.  Also, the
actual memory addresses differ from the sample errors I've come across for
diagnosing an out-of-date PROM.

     Failing any insight from the list, does anyone in the Austin area
have an Indy CPU module or PROM (known to work with an R4600SC) that I may
borrow for a day to confirm what's unhappy?

--Jonathan