[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

Bill Vinson billvinson at nc.rr.com
Fri Apr 5 18:23:40 CST 2002

On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 02:06 PM, Big Endian wrote:

> Those are fun.  But for a little bit more cash you can get a Pismo from
> ebay or a refurb TiBook 400 from apple which will run OS X much better.
[snip]
> Too bad, macs are fun machines.  I would recommend a Pismo or a TiBook
> over the iceBook for most people, but in this case price is probably a
> more deciding factor than speed.

Neither the Pismo nor the TiBook is really any faster than an iBook 600
in fact the Pismo is a decent bit slower and the TiBook loses is some
benchmarks, the other benchmarks are usually neck and neck.  (Wish I
could find my source URLs)

The iBook 600 does away with the 66 MHz bus problems and is much quicker
than the 500MHz model (I have owned both).  The Pismo is heavier and
bulkier than the iBook and the TiBook is much more delicate than the
iBook (i.e. case scratches and broken hinges).  The iBook 600 Combo is a
very nice machine.  It is what I am typing this on now.  For OS X I
would not recommend anything less the 384MB (128MB built-in + 256MB
module).  The 512MB module is still just too expensive for most people
but I really want it :)  If possible, go to an Apple store and try one
out.  That is the best way to get a feel for it.

Bill