[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 5 15:49:27 CST 2002

On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 02:44 PM, Big Endian wrote:

>>    I used to support Macs, but I never got to use "consumer" OS X,
>> only OS X
>> Server on a B&W G3 tower. I'm currently working on convincing my wife
>> to buy
>> a Mac but it will be *minimal* spending. So again I ask, given that any
>> Apple portable is too expensive (and fragile, with a 3 year-old and
>> another
>> on the way), is a cheap iMac acceptable for OS X stuff?
>
> If it has the Rage128 graphics on it it should work ok as they tend to
> have 100mhz bus on the Rage128 based systems, but again.. I don't know
> and I don't WANT to know about the innards of iMacs...
>
> daniel
> -- -----------------------------------------------------------------
> "Fragile. Do not drop." -- Posted on a Boeing 757.

The newer iMacs are fine.  Anything from 333 onward should do ok with
plenty of RAM.  The ones with self-installable RAM are much better than
the first candy-colored iMacs... i.e. Anything in Indigo, Ruby, Sage,
Snow, or Graphite with the transparent case and shorter CRT depth
[fanless].  These are excellent machines in general.  The only problem
with iMacs is some of the earlier ones had bad video boards (the portion
connected to the CRT ... deflection?.) I used to service them all the
time.  The other iMac problem was the Conexant soft-modem.  Those
buggers were incredibly static sensitive.  The newer firewire imacs
don't seem to have any of these problems.

I'd recommend 256MB minimum for OS X.

I have a Blue G3 / 400 with 256 MB and it runs fine on that. (Bought in
Mar 1999).

Andrew