[rescue] Power Conditioning (was: WTB/Advice: UPSs)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 5 15:40:25 CST 2002

> I don't really know what line isolation means.

Hmm.
All current flow from input to output goes
through a 1:1 transformer--which doesn't change
current or voltage, but moderates sudden
changes.  Think of it as a flywheel for that
electrical circuit.  (Of course, my EE degree
is from long enough ago that I really should shut
up before someone who still remembers how
power electric stuff works hands me my head.)

TrippLite talks a lot about their "ISOBAR"
in some surge protectors and power conditioners,
and has a pretty interesting selection of
related stuff--much more than APC or most other
UPS-only manufacturers.

I have one of the IS250s just sitting around
  http://www.tripplite.com/products/family/conditioners/isolation_specs.cfm
that a friend (with perfect pitch) bought to use
with a stereo in his office.  In the end he went ahead
and (IIRC) bought a more complete audiogeek-quality power
conditioner similar to the one I have in my home
stereo (ACE-515, the predecessor of this one:
  http://www.adcom.com/main/surgesupressors/ace615.htm ).

Yes, I have another good surge suppressor *before*
that Adcom one so that hopefully the first one
will croak and the second will survive the first
jolt.  (Yes, I've been told by at least one other
EE that the config I've produced makes it *more*
likely that Bad Things will happen to my stereo,
but he couldn't provide a convincing argument.
Anyone?)

  --Rip