[rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Apr 5 15:10:23 CST 2002

[ On , April 5, 2002 at 12:43:07 (-0800), Gregory Leblanc wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs
>
> back-ups was free, I'd go with the spike protector.  I remember looking
> at things a few years ago (erm, ok, almost 10), and as it turned out,
> you either wanted stuff that was < $30, or > $500, if you cared about
> the equipment.  The stuff in between was actually worse than the < $30
> stuff.

That's a very good way of looking at these things!

Unless maybe your power is on and off like a yoyo and you do have a
really good PS in your computer(s) that works happily on square waves
and doesn't mind a few milliseconds of flat-line....

(my AT&T 3B2's were like that -- the incandecent lights could go visibly
dark and yet the 3B2 kept on humming, never missing a beat -- I had more
terminals reset than system resets -- I still don't know how they
survived as there doesn't seem to be any big capacitor in the whole PS)

I've got an old non-computer UPS that I tried to use once on my
Sun-3/260's -- it drops several cycles during switch over, not quite
long enough for the filament in a 100W bulb to go dark, but my Suns
(even the diskless one with just 4 8-MB memory boards and a whole 800W
PS otherwise to itself) would reset every time.  Unfortunately it also
drops power for about the same amount of time when switching back over
to line current.  It made a good line isolator and spike protector
though....

--
								Greg A. Woods