[rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Fri Apr 5 14:04:08 CST 2002

[ On Friday, April 5, 2002 at 12:45:44 (-0500), Loomis, Rip wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs
>
>   APC Back-UPS 500VA (Black since that makes it
> 	"better"...)   $129.00 - 10% - $10 ==> ~ $104

I'd stay away from APC Back-UPS models for computer use....
In my opinion they're not worth the money you pay for them, not even
used.....

> It looks as though when I get into the "smart" or "hospital-
> grade" UPSs (which I assume have that much better
> regulation) I end up paying 2x to 3.5x as much.  Any
> comments on when/why that would be worth it?

yes, a "computer grade", "true on-line", etc. UPS cost more.

but you get what you pay for!  ;-)

The only one not exactly "true on-line" that I trust is the BEST FERRUPS
series.  They have a good reputation, are visibly well engineered, and
pretty good specs. (active voltage regulation, line isolation, true sine
wave output with low THD, and a claim of 0ms transfer time despite not
being "true on-line")  They generally have longer run-times than APC
units and are built so that a somewhat larger capacity battery will fit
in (and work just fine) too, unlike the smaller APC units which are
generally cramped for space internally.

You might find good deals on older (Micro) FERRUPS units.  I have three
right now: 2 x FE3.1kva and an ME1.4kva.  The latter is quite old (eight
years?), I bought it for $5.00 and put a new battery in it for $200[cad].
The former pair are somewhat newer, take 240vac input, and had new
batteries installed only 3 years ago (and I bought them for $50 each! :-).

These units also have an extremely non-proprietary serial interface,
with support in NUT-UPS.

> And has anyone had good luck searching eBay for UPSs?

Yes -- I've found several APC SmartUPS models locally in Toronto,
usually at a decent price, though one 1000VA unit needed new batteries
right away and that kinda destroyed its "good deal" aspect.

You probably want to buy any UPS locally though -- esp. a used one.  You
do not want to pay for shipping a lot of lead, steel, and copper around
the country, at least not unless you know some friendly truck drivers!  :-)

My FE3.1KVA units weigh in at 256lbs each!  Seven of them travelled from
Ottawa to Toronto (~4hrs on 4 & 6 lane) in the back of a GMC Yukon (not XL).  ;-)

--
								Greg A. Woods