[rescue] WTB/Advice: Mac iBook/PowerBook

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 5 12:07:04 CST 2002

So my other dilemma is that my wife the teacher wants
a portable Mac.  I've looked at the iBook and it would
appear that the 12.1" with the Combo DVD/CD-RW is
both acceptable in price (although a *little* steep) and
will be powerful enough for several years.

She doesn't really need the Combo drive as much as I
think it's neat--in fact the lowest-end one (which would
end up at $1099 with K12 discounts) would be fine
from a feature standpoint.  (All I care about is that it
needs to be able to run OS/X.1)

Any comments on the tradeoffs with CPU/FSB speed
and whether I should care?  (Anything with enough
horsepower to equal a PII/300 should be fine for what
she's going to do with it...)

And does anyone have a used system available?  Since
she's never going to be very mobile with it, I'm not so
concerned about battery lifetime.  Probably want a
G3/233 or better from what little I know, but feel free
to tell me differently--I've always avoided Macs.

  --Rip