[rescue] WTB/Advice: UPSs

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 5 11:45:44 CST 2002

As I look at the systems I have at home, and plan
the near term, I realize that I have *way* inadequate
UPS support for all those systems.  Like one
"Blackout Buster" POS for 5 systems.

I don't have an unlimited budget nor unlimited space,
so I can't get the super-duper >5kVA UPS that I know
some of you have.  For right now, I'm looking to spend
$100-200 on a good UPS.  Used and re-batteried (or
re-battery-able) is okay for the right price.  Needs to
have a monitoring interface (serial or USB) that I can
use with common monitoring software to initiate shutdown
of UNIX-based servers--almost any UPS new within the
last 5 years should have that feature.

Right now, based on free shipping and coupon specials,
I'm thinking of buying from Dell.  It looks as though I
can get a brand new 500-700 VA UPS for a number in
my ballpark.  Specifically,
  TrippLite BC Pro 600VA    $129.95 - 10% - $10
	==> ~$105.00 shipped
  TrippLite "Internet Office" 700VA    $135.95 - 10% - $10
	==> ~$112.00 shipped
  APC Back-UPS 500VA (Black since that makes it
	"better"...)   $129.00 - 10% - $10 ==> ~ $104

It looks as though when I get into the "smart" or "hospital-
grade" UPSs (which I assume have that much better
regulation) I end up paying 2x to 3.5x as much.  Any
comments on when/why that would be worth it?

And has anyone had good luck searching eBay for UPSs?
I've done that for many (too many) other items--but in this
case it appears that I can buy new for not much more
than (used+new batteries)--and a lot less hassles.
Comments?

--
Rip Loomis                         Senior Systems Security Engineer
SAIC Secure Business Solutions Group         www.saic.com/securebiz