[rescue] Laserdisc players Re: Hello?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Apr 5 02:06:43 CST 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 01:26:46AM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> >   Laserdiscs kick ass.  Decent audio quality, *excelltn* video quality,
> > very reliable, no suit-profit-protection bullshit.  I have a metric
>
> If anybody has a laserdisc player they'll sell cheap, let me know...

There were a couple at the last swap I was at... I have a spare, but it'd
cost a lot to ship. Take a look at

	http://www.oz.net/blam/DiscoVision/Pioneer_VP-1000.htm

I got it for $30 at a local thrift store 2-3 years ago, and I finally
found a remote at the swap last month for $10.  I believe it was the first
US consumer laserdisc player on the market. Could give a guy flashbacks to
the old drop-in disk platter drives.

Before finding the remote, I kinda gave up and picked up a CLD-V2400 with
remote for $100 late last year.  RS232 control, barcode reader, all sorts
of cool stuff. It's supposed to be part of the bedroom A/V center, along
with a wonderful blue-light stereo system from about 1976 and some huge
thrift store speakers. Specs and docs at
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/ServiceAndSupport/SelfHelpForIndDet/1,1457,1382,00.html

I'll keep my eyes peeled this weekend and next at this month's swaps.

--Rob