[rescue] X startup

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Apr 3 23:30:34 CST 2002

woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) on Wed,  3 Apr 2002 16:06:49 -0500 (EST)
said:
[ On Wednesday, April 3, 2002 at 13:28:30 (-0500), Sheldon T. Hall wrote: ]
>> Subject: [rescue] X startup
>>
>> I'm trying to troubleshoot a set-up that used to work, I didn't change
>> anything, yada, yada, but now when the X terminal connects it gets a
strange
>> login screen and,
>
> what's "strange" about it?

No Solaris blivet, no buttons with login choices, etc.  Just name and
password queries in a black Italic font on a white background.

> The login process is handled by XDM (or whatever it's called under
SunOS-5.7)

OK, but what starts that?

>> once logged in, you get no window manager at all.
>>
>> Sometime during the process, dtwm is dumping core, too.
>
> That certainly explains the lack of a window manager -- dtwm is the WM.
;-)
> Did you change any of your window manager configuration in any way?
> (create new menu entries, icons, desktops, whatever)
> (look for a recent modification timestamp on your ~/.dtwmrc and so on....)

I don't think I've made any changes in any of that stuff since the last time
it worked.  Certainly, I haven't _meant_ to change anything.

>> This only happens with my HP X-term; using an X emulator from a PC works
>> fine.
>
> Did any settings on the HP Xterm change?  Have you rebooted it?

I've changed various things on the HP trying to get it to work, and changed
them back.  There aren't a lot of things to change.

It netboots from the same LX it's trying to connect to, so I've probably
rebooted the X-term 50 times.

The thing that galls me is that it worked flawlessly before we moved, and
the _only_ intentional difference in the network setup is that the router is
now at the normal ".1" address instead of ".3".  I changed that in all the
relevant places, though.

One weird thing is that it worked a few times since the move, but I don't
think anything I've done fixed it or broke it again.

Maybe if I could find a reference outlining the startup steps it's going
through, I could find out what's broken.

Thanks.

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall