[rescue] Gnome on Solaris

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Tue Apr 2 19:00:27 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 22:52, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 10:47:04PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> >
> > There's a Solaris 2 FAQ, and a Sun GNOME on Solaris FAQ (or three), but
> > I'm not sure which you're asking about.  If you get stuck, and have
> > patience, irc.gnome.org #gnome or #gnome-help are generally (gasp!)
> > helpful.  I'm on that network as greg, and may even be at my computer.
>
> is performance covered?  on my ultra2 at work GNOME (i installed Ximian) is

In the FAQ?  Somewhat, yeah.

> so slow as to be unusable.

Are you running Nautilus?  If so, don't.  It's a great program and all,
but it was NOT written on/for Solaris, and doesn't run worth shit there,
yet.  I understand the GNOME 2 version is better on Solaris (not to
mention being FAST).  Unfortunately, it's just in beta right now.

> Ultra 2, 2x300Mhz CPUs, 2MB cache, 2GB ram and a Creator3D series 3.
>
> it should scream on that machine should it not?

Well, it should, except that I'm surprised it even starts on that
machine.  :-(  The folks who did most of the hacking on Nautilus are
nice and all, but they were being paid to make it work on Linux, and not
anywhere else.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.