[rescue] somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Robert Rose rr at rits.com.au
Tue Apr 2 02:36:49 CST 2002

At 06:49 PM 1/04/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> > In a related issue, how does FC-AL type boxes compare (speed and
> > reliability) with, directly attached SCSI disks with multiple
> > controllers and DiskSuite running 0+1?
>
>Hardware RAID will always be better than software RAID.

Sorry to disagree with you there, but when it comes to EMC at least, that's
not the case.  A few years ago I found once you fill the write cache (I
think it was 1GB), performance drops significantly, such that a Sparc 20 -
SSA100 - VXVM combination performed better.  That had the EMC techs running
in circles, then they claimed that my test wasn't fair (vxbench) because it
wasn't a real-world simulation.

Rob.