[rescue] Gnome on Solaris

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Tue Apr 2 00:47:04 CST 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-01 at 22:42, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> I am very new to Solaris and I am trying to get a little friendlier desktop
> manager than CDE. Since Solaris 9 will have Gnome built in, I figured I
> would just go with Gnome.

Well, I don't think Solaris 9 will ship with GNOME, based on their
respective release schedules, but this is just an educated guess.  It
will certainly be available for Solaris 9, and officially supported,
unless something weird happens.

> I did some googling on how to install gnome and found that Ximian had their
> own installer for Gnome on Solaris 8. So that is what I just started
> installing. Is this a good idea? or should I be getting it somewhere else?
> if so, where?

You can use the Ximian installer, but I don't really like the changes
that Ximian has made to the stock GNOME.  Sun also has a GNOME 1.4
distribution that you can download and install.  But really, the best
way to get GNOME on Solaris is to download and install it.  There are a
few sites that cover this.

> Is their a Solaris 8 FAQ? I picked up a book, but it doesn't really cover
> the topics I need right now.

There's a Solaris 2 FAQ, and a Sun GNOME on Solaris FAQ (or three), but
I'm not sure which you're asking about.  If you get stuck, and have
patience, irc.gnome.org #gnome or #gnome-help are generally (gasp!)
helpful.  I'm on that network as greg, and may even be at my computer.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.