[rescue] RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 1 21:01:17 CST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 04:46:15PM -0800, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> Hmm, I've not seen this, and I've gotten my hands on a couple of the AMI
> ExtremeRAID controllers.  How recently was this?

I'd say Spring of '01.  I think it was a megaraid.  The computer was about 3
months old at the start of the spring, so it was a pretty new card (err card
came with machine, from Gateway).

> > That said, my approach on current file server project (for various reasons this
> > became an urgent need so that I can repurpose the current fileserver), I'm
> > going with raid 0+1 since older scsi disks are cheap, I have several chasis
> > for them, and CPU mirroring and striping is quite fast.
>
> Let me know if you need help getting any of that up and running.
> There's actually another set of tools from the RAIDtools suite, which
> quite a few people like better.  I think it's ought to replace the
> RAIDtools, I just haven't written things up that way just yet.

I have to wait for the hard drives (a pair of baracuda 4.3gigers) to arrive
to get started.  I'm thinking that my SparcClasic should do the job, for so
few spindles, and since it will initially only be 10mbit.  Later might upgrade
to a SS10 or 20.

--
Joshua D. Boyd