[rescue] RE: somewhat OT: secondary market storage?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Apr 1 19:16:35 CST 2002

> Heh. The product looked good, but I had an uberdweeby sales rep when I
> brought them in to pitch against Sun and Baydel. He recited the quote to
> me, line for line, misreading gigabytes as "megabytes" every time... at
> the time it was around $85K for 217GB or so... and when I didn't go with
> him, he called me and railed on me for 23 minutes about how I wasn't
> taking my company's needs into consideration by choosing a product better
> suited to my needs and budget. I just sat there and listened, letting him
> dig his hole, and I tell that story to every storage vendor I meet with.

The best treatment I ever got from a storage company was Netapp - with
BlueArc coming a *very* close second.  Both salesmen were very
knowledgeable about their product, and were willing to bring in
engineers to help us do the integration and migration.  Most
importantly, both were very *honest* in their replies.  They were very
frank about what the products could do and how they could do it.  If
they didn't know an answer, they said so...

Kurt