[rescue] FDDI <-> ethernet

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 27 16:39:19 CDT 2001

>   PPP [ISDN] 10.0.0.1/30 -- 10.0.0.2/30 [Ultra5] static.1/29 {{}} static.6/29

i thought of this after posting, probably a good idea if he doesn't need
ethernet to access the internet.

> ISDN uses 10.0.0.2/30 as default route;  Everyone else uses U5 as default
> route, everything works and everyone is happy!  (except traceroute fans).

my nearest router for my isp is named: tracerouteiscool.oldcity.dca.net  :)

> > anyway, the reason i'm even posting is: does linux properly do MTU translations?
> Hum, aren't we talking /bridging/ here?  Isn't this what Higher-level
> MTU-Discovery is all about?  {AFAIK} ``Bridgeing'' between different MTUs,
> requires an understanding of layer 3?

so how do you put a bridge between two different networks that require different
MTUs then?

> So you could do it;  but the world kluge comes to mind, and it would be
> Brouting (transparent routing).  Personally think this is sickly.

bah, nasty.  don't like that crap.

> Surely all you need to do is to get the Sun box to proxy arp for the ISDN
> modem, and vis-versa in the other direction;  Hum, you'd have to tell or
> your FDDI to use 1500mtu though for traffic going to the ISDN port, I don't
> know whether you could get this to work on everything?

i don't think this should be done at all.  the large MTU is one of the benefits
of FDDI.  if you're going to drop the MTU to 1500 why not just use ethernet?
ok, nasty comments aside.  if bridging won'T work, then maybe routing is the
better idea.

> Re, the other person, blindingly easy under Linux... but well Solaris has to
> be crap at some things. ;-)

i buy computers for computing and routers/bridges for routing/bridging.  works
best that way you know. :)

-brian