[rescue] automatically booting a sun 3/50

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 26 18:47:14 CDT 2001

On September 26, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> > how can I convince my sun to boot directly sd(,,4)?
>
> Why are you booting file 4 on the disk?  It normally should boot
> sd(0,0,0)vmunix.  sd(0,0,4) is only used, AFIK, in the SunOS 4.1
> boot tape where it skips over the copy and another binary to get
> the kernel.

  The last digit is the partition number for sd() devices, not the
file number.

> Dunno if it matters, but I think that is fine.  Make sure the drive
> you are booting is set to ID=3 on the early suntoyz.... for historical
> gobbledygook reasons.

  The 3/0 SCSI ID swap started with the SPARCstation-1 and goes on
from there.  ID 0 is fine for this machine.

  For more information about the silly Sun 3/0 SCSI ID swappage, see
http://www.neurotica.com/docs/sun-scsi-explanation.txt.  Note well,
however, that the comments in the top of the file regarding "SCSI
priority" and performance considerations are dead wrong and should be
ignored.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire