[rescue] automatically booting a sun 3/50

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 26 17:15:34 CDT 2001

On September 21, schaecsn wrote:
> I do have a sun 3/50. I would like to boot automatically sd(,,4). but
> after I turn on the computer I need to enter manually "b sd(,,4)"
> because I get the following "error" message:
>
> Diagonstic autoboot in progress...
> invalid Device=''
> >

> how can I convince my sun to boot directly sd(,,4)?
>
> if it should matter, my rom revision is 2.7 and the precise model is
> 3/50M.

  Most Sun systems have two configurable boot devices...the normal
one and the "diag mode" device.  It sounds like your machine may be in
diag mode...look at the little rocker switch on the CPU board's metal
plate and set it to "NORM".

  If you still have trouble, email either me or this mailing list and
someone will help you set the EEPROM defaults.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD