[rescue] alive and kicking

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 26 08:59:15 CDT 2001

> Fortunately, myself and my car parked right outside made it out unscathed,
> though there were many broken windshields, uprooted trees, etc.

Glad you made it through, OK, David.  A funny aside..... I got blown
away by the tornado that came through Raleigh, in Nov., '88.  It took
3/4's of the house, and the only thing that remained intact was the
center hallway, AND, the room that contained all my boatanchor ham
radio gear and boatanchor computer gear (all rackmount HEAVY stuff).
It was an incentive to keep the heavyweight iron around... it holds
the house in place in a tornado (pun intended).  My car, a '76
Chevette, had a 25 foot pine tree through the back window, and all
the way up to and setting on the dash.... funny looking.  The wife's
car, an 84 Nissan wagon, was picked up and made tire marks going UP
the side of the remaining wall of the house, got wrapped around the
top of a 50 foot pine tree according to a neighbor that saw it,
and then it got put back down into the driveway, compressed to
about 3 feet tall, with the lights turned on and the horn blowing.
Funny, for sure.  Everyone got out OK, though, but it took a couple
of years to to pick up the pieces, and I still get a little skittish
when the winds pick up in a sorm.  Tornados will set yer head straight,
in a hurry.... even a decade later....(:+}}...

Bob