[rescue] alpha server 1000 4/266 info needed

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 25 13:28:22 CDT 2001

	Thanks for the offer unfotunatly I am stateside currently.

	The other BIOS is the Alphabios, I just rememberd. With some of the
digital systems they were desinged only to boot NT for that system using the
Alphabios. The alphabios for my Alpha XL 300 contains an entry to start the
install of NT on it even. In order to get another operating system to boot
(at least this is how I had to do redhat) you have to get the MILO boot
image for your server and alter the bios entry to boot from that disk. Then
you get into the install and make a DOS partion as part of the install to
add this boot information to the hard disk. After the install you have to go
configure the bios so that it will use the MILO program in that DOS boot
partion to kickstart the redhat boot. Very anoying process as none of it is
very well supported and I found that out of the 6 different MILO version I
used only one would get the job done.

	From looking at the instructions getting ARC to do the same thing is
not that different. I was just disapointed that the XL300 would not take
Digital Unix (no provision to boot it) looks like the arc server might and I
may play with that.

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO