[rescue] alpha server 1000 4/266 info needed

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 22 08:51:03 CDT 2001

On Friday 21 September 2001 17:20, you wrote:
> 	So it boots all the way to NT (she thought it was unix) It also has
> some digital unix on it and an arc Bios. I believe that redhat 7.1
> would go on here just peachy keen. Now to my questions (enough

Don't be so quick to ditch DU --- it's a pretty good Unix. Especially
if you've got the license for the AdvFS extended utilities.

> 	This server also has the hot swap hard drive bays in it. I would

They may not be hot swap. Certainly I've been told that the bays in a
2100 aren't (although I haven't checked myself).

> LOVE to add the other 5 drives to this system. I saw on E-bay similar
> drive bays for the 2100 series but I am unsure if the hard drive
> sleds cross populate or not. Can I use any old digital hard drive

Almost certainly. Take out the drive and take a digital photo of it,
and make it available, and I daresay there's a whole bunch of people
who can confirm what you've got.

> Also what is the max size of a hard drive that I can put into them?

What's the maximum size of a SCSI hard drive ?

> Compaq lists max internal storage at 28gigs for the 1000. I assume
> that this means 4 gigs a sled (28 gigs / 7 sleds)but I may be wishing

I'd assume that the listed maximum internal storage was produced when
you couldn't get SBB's bigger than 4Gbytes. I can't see a reason why it
shouldn't take any size disk, unless you've got some funky RAID
controller.