[rescue] Cisco, LAT and SunOS 5

Paul Sladen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 13:08:41 CDT 2001

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> so what would be the best way to get the TERM set to something reasonable so
> that i don't have to do it by hand?  any ideas?

Type `set' and see whether your telnetd or sshd arranges for any useful
environment variables to be set:

  REMOTEHOST=hippo.sladen
  REMOTE_HOSTNAME=hippo.sladen
  REMOTE_IPADDRESS=10.0.0.3

  SSH_CLIENT='62.254.7.257 3461 22'

And try adding something to your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile:

  if [ "x$REMOTE_IPADDRESS" != "x" && \
        "$REMOTE_IPADDRESS" == "192.168.42.1" ];
  then
    export TERM='vt100';
  fi;

Of course;  if you aren't using Bash.....(!).

Paul

/me draws a second chalk line, and wonders off saying something like
`strike two'..... =B-]