[rescue] Onyx Rescue

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 13:03:18 CDT 2001

> George - Care to tell us about your Onyx RE2?
>
> I'm trying to rescue one now.  Bought some parts from
> Mini Computer Exchange (good people, mostly) to upgrade
> it from IP19 single R4400/200 with 256MB to IP25 quad
> R10000/195 with 1GB, but it complains about an unsupported
> CPU configuration.

My Machine has Dual R4400/200's, looking to replace the board with Quad
R4400/200's or Dual R8000/90's or Quad R10K/195's as soon as
time/money/availability permit.  The Board I have has only 2 sockets, so If
I can find a dual R4400/200 board with 4 sockets, I plan to cobble together
a quad from both.

> Thinking that it might be a prom rev problem, we replaced
> the Ebus system controller with one supposedly known to
> have been pulled from a quad CPU system, but that didn't
> fix it.
>
> Now, from what I've been able to glean from the web, I'm
> thinking that we need a different IO4 board; ours is p/n
> 030-0646-104/A, I'm thinking we might need 030-0646-107,
> or some such.  Can you tell me the part number on your
> IO4, and how many of what kind of CPUs you've got?

My IO4 is p/n 030-0646-107, without either SCSI mezanine board, I'm looking
for one, (or an IO4 with one attatched)  But I cannot tell you if this one
supports IP25 w/ R10K's or not...