[rescue] Onyx Rescue

Gregg Mackenzie rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 12:07:06 CDT 2001

> From: "G W Adkins" <gwadkins at erols.com>
> On another note, (a rescue) I just got done installing 6.5.11 in my recently
> resurrected Onyx.  Anyone know where to install the cool paper-airplane demo
> from? I wanna try out the RE2 in this baby... The GL screensavers are like
> silk!

George - Care to tell us about your Onyx RE2?

I'm trying to rescue one now.  Bought some parts from
Mini Computer Exchange (good people, mostly) to upgrade
it from IP19 single R4400/200 with 256MB to IP25 quad
R10000/195 with 1GB, but it complains about an unsupported
CPU configuration.

Thinking that it might be a prom rev problem, we replaced
the Ebus system controller with one supposedly known to
have been pulled from a quad CPU system, but that didn't
fix it.

Now, from what I've been able to glean from the web, I'm
thinking that we need a different IO4 board; ours is p/n
030-0646-104/A, I'm thinking we might need 030-0646-107,
or some such.  Can you tell me the part number on your
IO4, and how many of what kind of CPUs you've got?

--

Does anyone have any definitive information on which IO4s
support multiple R10000 CPUs?

I'm hoping I can somehow confirm or refute my theory
before we spend money on an IO4 unnecessarily.

Thanks!
mackenzie
gmackenz at ball.com