[rescue] New worm?

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 19 20:56:46 CDT 2001

At Wed, 19 Sep 2001 18:15:39 -0700 Jon <bigj at grazeland.com> wrote:

>I'd love to take this same mindset regarding NT but it's flawed. *nix is
>full of it's own bugs/worms. The only reason NT get's more attention
>regarding this sort of thing is due to it's "popularity" (I'm using that
>term loosely)

I have an obscure server visited more by indexing bots than anything else.
Now it generates a megabyte per day of error and access logs due to the worm
of the day looking for IISes to infect.

So what OS and httpd servers should you run if you want to evade the worms,
virii, and rootkit intruders?  Is there a case for security through obscurity?
 Rare OS  + rare WWW server = unattractive to the intruders?

-- SP