[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 16 13:59:46 CDT 2001

[ On Sunday, September 16, 2001 at 13:46:31 (-0500), Scott Newell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq
>
> But they have, at least in the P2-350 and later chips.  Look for references
> to an on-chip thermal diode.  (Thermocouples might be tricky, since you'd
> need to deposit a couple of disimilar metals to form one and worry about
> cold junction compensation.  A silicon sensor makes more sense for the
> expected temp range anyway.)

Uh huh...  I already mentioned the thermal sensor that's in the PPro too.

Unfortunately they're pretty much useless as management devices.  my
point was entirely about providing management information for alarms,
fan control, automated cut-off (not just of the CPU, but of the entire
system, perhaps in a controlled fashion), etc.

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>;   Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>