[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 16 02:57:14 CDT 2001

>The Intel specs require the PPro case temperature be at 85 C for ideal
>operating conditions (I can't find any spec of the junction-to-case

What?!  I see that the spec for operating case temp is 85=B0C max (range of
0-85=B0C), but I certainly don't read that as the 'ideal' temp.  (Table 11-5=
,
Power Specifications, Pentium Pro Family Developer's Manual, vol 1)

>After reading my IC textbook again I'm wondering what issues there might
>be for running a PPro below the specified case temp.....  I have had the

Again, I read this as 85=B0C max, not as a design target value.  Check out
section 14.1.2, Case Temperature:

"To ensure functionality and reliability, the Pentium Pro processor is
specified for proper op-eration when T C (case temperature) is within the
specified range in Table 11-5."

newell