[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Andrew Weiss rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 22:50:14 CDT 2001

> Message: 3
> From: Dan Debertin <airboss at nodewarrior.org>
> Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:19:00 -0500
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq
>
> Ken Hansen writes:
>>
>> But the real find was a PPro 200 system
>
> Okay, this time I'll bite. What's so great about the PPro that makes
> it better than other Intel chips? Are they still worth getting nowadays?
>
> Dan
> --
> Dan Debertin
> airboss at nodewarrior.org
> www.nodewarrior.org

Well I would say so.  I have a really nice machine which is a dual PPro
200 Mhz (the really expensive 1MB Cache versions) that I got on eBay and
assembled out of new and used parts... the case is a 14 Bay Raid tower
on wheels, and the board is a PR440FX which has built-in Adaptec SCSI.
I have 512MB ECC RAM.  With an ancient 16MB TNT 1 it still makes a kick
ass Half-Life and Diablo II gaming machine.  With the graphics update,
Half Life runs even faster at 1024x768.  So it's a really nice GL game
machine....running Win2K Professional.  It also processes SETI at home
nicely. (It's nice for everything really but I don't use PC's very often
anymore.  I'm kind of a PowerPC fanatic.)  I used to use SetiBuf to
download 9 sets per processor and both proc's would churn away on the
data.  You could still play Half-Life while SETI was going full steam.
(non graphical client of course).  Some day this machine will have a
dual Alpha board in it, but such is not the time.

If anyone wants dibs I might consider selling the other 2 Pro 1MB CPU's
I have (I originally bought 4 for a Quad motherboard... but those
require funky power)  I also have a Quad ALR motherboard (Rackmount) and
a Memory card that is broken (requires merely reaffixing one end of a
capacitor) and 4 VRM's .... all in my closet.

Andrew