[rescue] Odd PC/spread spectrum wireless bridge rescue... any thoughts?

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 20:27:22 CDT 2001

Hi all,

Found a mystery box that I thought someone here might have seen or
invented or proven was technically inferior to DLT8000. The system is a
rackmount 486/100 with "Wireless Networks" and "Tetherless Access" company
names on it. It's running with an NE2000, a disk-on-chip on an ISA card,
and three ISA cards that are possibly the cool bit of the pile.

The card is labeled "WLAN \ WWAN ISA ADAPTER" with a part number of
100432003000. It has a couple of Xilinx chips and a Motorola 68302
processor, and two chips with labels marked "RDC-2" and "RDC 3". It has a
DB15 port on the back marked "RADIO" and a pair of LEDs.

The MAC address appears to be in the RDC COMMUNICATIONS assignment range
(00a00a). It has no FCC ID# or other useful labelling.

>From what I've been able to tell from 5-year-old press releases,
Tetherless Access did "Part 15 unlicensed" spread spectrum wireless
bridges originally intended for use in Africa but later turned around to
combat Pacbell delays in Silicon Valley. The CEO was responsible for such
things as some CP/M ports, KA9Q ported to the Macintosh, and some other
things.

But what I'd really like to know is what these cards are, what they
connect to, what they'd be useful for, or whether I should just use the
case/PS/floppy and put the rest away (which is what I'd intended to do...
$40 is a good rate for this case, considering I paid $59 2 weeks ago for
the same thing).

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows