[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Zach Malone rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 15 17:22:26 CDT 2001

The PPro was the first of the P6 core processors.  Other processors in this
family include the Pentium II, Pentium III, the P2 and P3 Xeons, and the
Celerons.  One thing about the PPro that makes them popular is that they are
extremely stable, and you can assemble a machine with a lot of them for a
lot less then a Xeon machine with more then 2 processors.  Finally, as I
understand it (correct me if I am wrong), the PPro was the first x86
processor that has a RISC core, with a CISC interpreter, giving it better
performance then similar era Pentium MMX chips.
    Zach
(Moved to geeks)