[rescue] God bless America

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 12 13:43:28 CDT 2001

> > Every Government in the world today ought to assist us in this task, and
> > anyone who resists our efforts is undertaking an act of war not only against
> > the US, but against every civilized country in the world today.
>
> I do feel that harboring known terrorists is a criminal act.  I don't
> think the whole world should join in, though.

There are, perhaps, two points of view on this to consider.
First, if the matter is entirely a U.S.A matter, then we should
handle it unilaterally.  But, if the matter is transcendant
sufficiently to be considered a ``world community'' matter,
then that might suggest that it be handled, multinationally
at the response level.  For now, I would favor the unilateral
response, although there is some incentive for an American/Russian
response, because of the strategic positioning of the response target
areas.

> > And those groups who blamed our foreigh policy for these attacks?
> > Exterminate them too, and then they can blame their Public Relations policy
> > for that...
>
> Guess I'm a goner, then.  I think that these attacks resulted directly
> from our very poor foreign policy toward the Arab states.  However, it's
> been the policy for decades and decades, and I don't see it changing
> anytime soon, especially now.

You can't attribute it directly to foreign policy.  It goes way beyond
that to a religious hatred area, dating back hundreds of years.  You
have to appreciate it in that sort of context, and not the limited
time frame of US involvement in the area.  We are the Johnnie come
Latelys in the area, but are the most convenient scape goat in their
eyes.

> To be treated fairly, you must treat others fairly.  Unfair treatment in
> no way justifies the atrocities that have were committed, and I fully
> support a full attack on those responsible.  So mark me down as very
> shocked, very saddened, but in absolutely no way surprised.

No.  You treat others ``in kind'' in these sorts of matters, since they
are not playing by the rules of order, and have no concept of fairness.
They do not understand such things, but only respond in kind.  We, as
Americans have an idealistic problem appreciating such a point of view.
Terrorists have no concept of fairness.  If you treat them fairly, they
will only terrorize you back.  You must treat them with sufficient horror
that you get their attention, and scare them.  If you fail to do that,
they have won.....

The die is cast.  WE MUST respond to them in a manner that they understand,
will listen to, and be scared of.  The time for talk is ended.

Bob