[rescue] Dead Sun 150!

Gregg Mackenzie rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 12:16:25 CDT 2001

> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:21:55 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Jason Filby <jasonfilby at yahoo.com>
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: [rescue] Dead Sun 150!
>
> Hey all
>
> I've got a serious problem here... a Sun 150 that died 10 days after
> the maintenance contract expired (is there some plot I don't know
> about? or just Murphy's law?).
>
> Anyways.. the server was running fine, but suddenly my terminal lost
> connection. I went to the server room to find the 150 dead. If I turn
> it off and on, the LCD comes on and all the drive lights come on --
> but there's nothing on the screen (screen stays on standby mode).

Jason - Your console is on serial A, and you're getting nothing
on the console window or display, right?

It's most likely the 180W power supply (p/n 300-1308) located at
the back left of the box (assuming rack mount, laying flat)...IF
it's really dead...it may not be.  First try this:

  - connect a sun keyboard to the E150 (you can leave your
    dumb terminal or whatever connected to serial A)
  - turn on the power switch on the back of the E150
  - press the power key on the Sun keyboard (upper right corner)

If the above doesn't work, the power supply, likely, really is
dead.  After you replace it, you may still need to do the above.

Assuming you're using serial A for console, make sure that the
following NVRAM parameters are set:

	setenv input-device ttya
	setenv output-device ttya

later,