[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 14:19:12 CDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 03:09:39PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> The primary desktop OS at the office?  Linux.  The runner up, MacOS.
> Windows is used, but mostly by developers that use them because the version
> of $DEV_TOOL they prefer is available on Windows.  Oh, the sales guys use
> Windows and Office because that's what the majority of our prospective
> clients use - and they *must* be *assured* that they are able to *completely
> and effectively* communicate *100%* with them.

Here is an idea that I keep kicking around to aid in moving towards a unix
desktop.  Take one fairly powerful PeeCee (say a dual P2), and install
2000 on it with IIS and MS Office and Acrobat Author (or whatever it is
called).  Then write ASP scripts (or whatever you feel like bludgoning IIS
into working with that can use COM object easily) that allow people to
upload a file and have it converted to anything that Office can export, or
print it to a PDF.

And thus, you have a way to read and write the Office files that
StarOffice or GnomeOffice can't handle.  Thus, for fairly small groups of
people, you can place a Sunblade on their desk with star office (or
whatever), and one of these servers, and they can communicate with any
luser that insists on sending them Excel files.

Would there be any market for buying such servers already set up and ready
to go?

--
Joshua D. Boyd