[rescue] Nortel VPN for UNIX clients (Re: Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed)

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Sep 10 10:27:53 CDT 2001

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Larry Snyder wrote:

> woods at weird.com (Greg A. Woods) wrote:
> >
> > (That said I must say there's simply got to be a unix-based client
> > available from Nortel -- they're still one of the most unix-centric
> > companies of that size anywhere in the world!)
>
> They mentioned about a year ago there would be some 'unsupported' stuff
> available.  Have yet to see anything, and their website is near
> impossible to decipher.

There is some semi-supported stuff in the 2.63 software release... mostly
a chapter in the manual that tells how to set up the server to work with a
specific client (FreeS/WAN if I recall correctly). If memory serves me,
you set up the UNIX client as a "branch office" and do it that way.

I never got around to trying it on my last Contivity site, but I may end
up with one at my current job, so I'll poke at my sales rep to see about
getting a manual set.

Took me a few minutes of link following, but you should be able to find
the Contivity 2x00 or 4x00 under www.nortelnetworks.com/documentation/
and look at the "Managing the Contivity Extranet Switch" manual or a
release notes addendum to find this info. If I find anything, I'll be glad
to pass it along.

--Rob
        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows