[rescue] sparc5 power was: Sparc 1, 2, 4

Greg rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 22:58:23 CDT 2001

Dan Sikorski wrote:

> I have a sparc5 that USED to power itself off when it was halted, it
> doesn't anymore.  Now, my memory doesn't serve me too well, it may have
> powered itself off when i had linux on it, and not since i installed
> solaris, but, can i get solaris to turn the machine off so i know it's
> halted?

init level 5 powers off, level 6 just shuts down.  The shutdown man
page indicates:

      state 5
            Shut the machine down so that it is safe to remove the
            power. Have the machine remove power, if possible. The
            rc0 procedure is called to perform this task.

      state 6
            Stop the operating system  and  reboot  to  the  state
            defined  by the initdefault entry in /etc/inittab. The
            rc6 procedure is called to perform this task.

So use "shutdown -i5 -g0 -y".

-greg