[rescue] Flying Pigs - OT WIN2K speed

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Sep 9 22:37:38 CDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 09:02:31PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> I think you're still focusing far too much on specific tools and
> specific file formats.

Specific tools and file formats REQUIRED TO PROPERLY INTEROPERATE WITH
THE PEOPLE I WORK WITH.  In my last job (at ConnectSouth) I used POP3 off
the Exchange server very nicely - I had no need/requirement for Word,
Excel, or Visio there.  Here, I have a need to interoperate *as easily
as possible* with other people who send me files and such.

> I mean what's wrong with normal mailbox access?  What functions of your
> job require more than just normal e-mail?

Calendar, scheduling, etc, and we dont have the web-based Exchange interface
available - otherwise I'd use that.

> I've never used visio so I don't know what its strengths and weaknesses
> are, but I've used lots of unix-based diagramming tools and I've never
> had any problem getting the results I need.  I maybe take longer because
> I'm not an expert at many of these tools, but then I take longer at lots
> of different kinds of jobs that I'm not an expert at because I use them
> all as learning experiences.  I always push the envelope of what I'm
> trying to do so that I can learn something new.

Its not "getting the results I need" - its being able to read, write, and
*send back in the same file format* documents and diagrams that other people
send me.

> Even if there is something in M$-Exchucks that a normal mail user agent
> can't do I'd be loathe to get tied into it, even if all my co-workers
> were using it.  Similar reasoning follows from the file format lock-in.
> If your vendor's got you tied by the short curly ones to a specific
> server platform then your as good as in bed with them.

Its not "tied by the short and curly ones", its "fitting in with what
the other 99% of the company I work for uses".

> Reagan's already suggested any IPsec client, but you've said that won't
> work yet.  I'd suggest that if it won't work then it's must not be a
> very good VPN, and indeed it must have come into being without taking
> unix into serious consideration.

Its also NOT RUN BY MY DEPARTMENT.  I manage the UNIX servers, and
NOTHING else.  We have a department that does NT, a department that
does UNIX (mine), a department that does internal networks, etc.  I
dont get to pick and choose what is put in place - its not my department
and I have nothing whatsoever to do with what VPN solution is chosen
and put into place, as much as I'd like to have a word in edgewise.

This is a Big Company (tm).  Nothing at all like when I was a head
sysadmin somewhere and i said what went where and how soon.

> (That said I must say there's simply got to be a unix-based client
> available from Nortel -- they're still one of the most unix-centric
> companies of that size anywhere in the world!)

I've been looking and have found nothing yet.

Tonights project:   cleaning up the computer room here at home and
setting the U60 back up headless.  Anybody wanna buy a Creator 3D?
I'll have a part number later.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford