[rescue] Optimizing 4-260 crate

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 6 12:01:32 CDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:20:37AM -0500, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> 1.  Graphics Processor board
> 2.  Graphics Buffer board
> 3.  CG3 board (to add over the on-board mono of the 4200 cpu).
> 4.  TAAC1 application accelerator board.

> What will the above buy me over just the cg3 board?  My thought
> was to run an X on the critter, even though it will be slow on
> the 4/260 at 16mhz.  But, hey, the thing is the first Sparc,
> and I want to keep it for just that reason.  I know the guy
> over in Chapel Hill that designed and built the TAAC1, and
> he said it could do some neat things, in its day.

Yes, but does he still remeber enough to be able to help you write
software for it?  Otherwise the TAAC won't do you much good, and maybe you
should investigate getting the floating point accelerator (although would
it really be usefull on a SPARC?) and a second framebuffer for dual head
fun.

--
Joshua D. Boyd