[rescue] Re: Ultra 10, again (won't this guy ever shut up?)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 22:51:07 CDT 2001

Robert Novak wrote:

> > Very odd. It worked perfectly for a day. Just long enough to install the
> > OS and get happy.
>
> I will apologize if this was suggested weeks ago, but you might try
> checking the OBP versions now that the system is booting in IDE-land.
> Maybe you got lucky the first time, rather than unlucky the later times?

What do you mean? Sorry, you lost me there.

> > "logging" on IDE?
>
> I think you can. I might have done it on a U5 once, but not that I can
> certify from memory.

Cool. Beats losing  bits of stuff when the power goes out and the UPS
dies. I haven't got the diesel generator yet...

> I don't know that it will make a big difference.

Isn't faster data transfer to/from the drives a factor in performance? I
would think it would make _some_ difference.

> other partitions across the disks. Maybe even hang one of the disks on the
> secondary controller (along with the CDROM) to spread out the buses.

Yep. Read all bout it on docs.sun.com. Means buying more IDE drives.
Maybe.

> I've heard bad stories of ufs logging of root partitions, but I can't

If you happen to recall, please do share. I'm very interested.

> Ya know, I suddenly realize this stuff might be better suited for sunhelp,
> rather than rescue. Maybe I should wander over there and lurk a bit :)

Maybe I should subscribe. I don't know if I can handle much more e-mail,
though. I get close to 400 messages some days. I did rescue this system,
though. If I hadn't taken it, it would've gone on ebay. Does that count?

Thanks again (and again, and again...)

---sambo