[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 22:14:57 CDT 2001

> It depends on what you are looking for.  At school debian is used because
> key people feel that apt-get works better than the redhat
> equivalent.  Mandrake and suse seem to be more aggressive about supporting
> the cutting edge desktop features, which probably cuts into stability a
> little.  Slackware seems to appeal to do it yourselfers.

We use SuSE almost exclusivley at work - because it is recognized as being
the most capable Oracle system.  Our DBA suggested it, so we use it.  I also
like the fact that ReiserFS can be selected upon install.  All told, SuSE
seems to be a very mature distibution of Linux.

It even works with all the funky hardware in my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop.

Kurt