[rescue] Ultra 10, again (won't this guy ever shut up?)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 21:09:29 CDT 2001

So,

I gave up on the Ultra 10. Pulled the SCSI drives and card, and stuck
the IDEs back in.

And it works. Just like that. Apparently the Symbios SYM8751SP isn't as
compatible as I'd gathered. Nothing personal to all those who
recommended it, but it didn't work. There are no jumpers on the card, so
I don't think it was set wrong. I guess I could stick it in a peecee and
flash the latest bios on it, but that shouldn't need doing if some of
you have tried this before. Wonder what the problem was?

So it works. Been up for 6 hours now. That's a record since the day it
crapped out. It wouldn't stay up 10 minutes then. Cool. Shame it's IDE.
Anyone know why Sun did that?

---sambo