[rescue] Re: Another possibly unanswerable question about AXI memory

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 21:07:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Zach Malone wrote:

> It seems as though 11 bit modules are only accepted in two slots (0, and 2),
> is it possible that those two slots support 256mb and the rest do not?  If
> they universally support 256mb modules, you would expect the maximum total
> to be 2048mb, rather then 1024mb.

Two banks or "slot pairs", four slots. PDF page 123 (book page C-17)
illustrates this...

But yes, those two slot pairs support 256MB 11-bit, and if you use any
11-bit you must use all 11-bit according to the docs. This means only 4
slots (2 banks/slot pairs) can be used if you use any 11-bit. Some boards
(like the Tatungs) ship with a warning sticker over those. Otherwise, I'd
have a pair of 256s, a pair of 128s, and two pairs of 64s in there for 1GB
and I'd quit my bellyaching :)

http://www.sun.com/microelectronics/boards/ax/i/docs.html is the head of
the AXi docs page by the way. The manual I'm reading is the fourth link.

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows