[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 21:01:02 CDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:34:17AM -0400, Chad Fernandez wrote:
> But Linux isn't Unix.  Plus, from what I have heard, a lot of business
> steer clear of Linux because of support issues.  In addition Linux isn't
> quite as bomb proof, and scalable as unix, or something like that....
> (Here say)  Granted Linux is getting better.

Personally, I think that claiming that Linux isn't unix is a very pathetic
and artificial distinction.  The only evidence that has been pointed out
to support this is lack of Unix98 certification and that it wasn't based
directly on either the BSD code or the AT&T code.

For the Unix98 "problem", I answer that is something not Unix just because
there isn't a central authority to pay for the certification?  What about
OpenBSD or NetBSD?  I doubt anyone could seriously claim that they aren't
Unix, but I don't think they are certified.

--
Joshua D. Boyd