[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Mike Meredith rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 15:16:40 CDT 2001

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 20:58, you wrote:
> [[ MOVE IT TO GEEKS!!! ]]
>
> [ On Wednesday, September 5, 2001 at 16:42:15 (+0100), Paul Sladen
> wrote: ]
> >   a)  The kernel, scalable enough to run on your Palm Pilot, and
>
> Actually, no, the linux kernel is not that scalable.  It does not run
> well under heavy load on an S/390 -- that's why you run hundreds,
> thousands, or even tens of thousands of virtual linux partions under
> VM.

I'm not trying to say that the linux kernel is scalable up to zSystem
size, but I believe one of the reasons for running thousands of linux
partitions under VM is to replace thousands of rack mounted linux boxes
in a hosting environment. Using it as "proof" that linux doesn't scale
is slightly bogus.