[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 12:34:07 CDT 2001

On Wed, 2001-09-05 at 09:55, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On September 5, Paul Sladen wrote:
> >   a)  The kernel, scalable enough to run on your Palm Pilot, and your S/390.
> >       Please don't bring up the issue of efficeny;  Solaris doesn't run on
> >       a Palm, and NetBSD (a Real-Unix(TM) that does) doesn't `scale' to SMP.
>
>   It doesn't?  Hmm, I guess this Alpha and the's PPro box are running
> some strange SMP-supporting operating system that is just *pretending*
> to be NetBSD.

Is it only on the Alpha and x86 ports?  I just browsed the i386 ports
page, and couldn't find anything that jumped out at me.

> > PS.  Chuck that copy of Redhat into the trash well you're at it, too!
>
>   I run Redhat on my Linux box because that's the distribution that I
> always hear about.  Is there a better alternative that I should be
> running?

That all depends on who you ask.  I use Red Hat almost exclusively.  I
managed to get Debian installed once, and left it installed, because
it's installer is a total bitch to use.  I suppose I could be slightly
biased, in that some of my best friends work for Red Hat, but almost
none work on Debian.  :)  There are other alternatives, but none worth
mentioning, IMHO.  (Don't even say slackware, I'll kick your ass)
	Greg