[rescue] POSIX <> Unix <> Linux

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 08:29:35 CDT 2001

Unix is a trademark, owned by SCO (IIRC).

AT&T Developed Unix, then sold it to SCO a few years ago.

Bellcore had nothing to do with Unix.

Posix is a common set of APIs/commands that define a "minimum" OS
environment, that would allow a program written to it to be simply
recompiled on a new platform that supported POSIX and run as expected.

POSIX is *quite* limited. WinNT3.51 and up have been POSIX compliant.

POSIX <> Unix.

My shop (200 users +/-) is MS-only, because if something breaks, we want to
have one vendor to call. We are able to support 200 users in two countries
and 4 sites with only 3 IT folks by leveraging a plain vanilla environment
based on Citrix.

We steer clear of Linux because it offers us almost no benefit, and witht he
learning curve as steep as it is (for a previously pure-MS shop), it is very
hard to justify. (the cost of the OS is one of the lowest expenses we have
in IT - heck, even the refurb computers we buy come with nice shiny Win2K
Pro licenses for well under $500...

HTH,

Ken