[rescue] This Just In: HP to buy Compaq

Michael S. Schiller rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Sep 5 01:37:37 CDT 2001

Well, as far as Compaq vs HP in the field of PC quality (I'm not talking about
servers here, but rather the machines consumers would buy at Office Depot, etc) I
would have to say that the HP machines are MUCH higher quality than the similiar
Compaq ones. My mother had bought a Compaq for use in the office a few years ago,
and Compaq had to replace it under warrantee because of a HD failure! It seems
that the motherboard in it only worked with a few very specific models, and those
models weren't being made anymore (I think it was the Quantum Bigfoot, but I
won't swear to it), and they couldn't find a different drive to work with the
machine. I suppose it's a good thing my mom bought the extended warantee with the
machine, something I never do. While we were having all this trouble I had a
chance to talk to the tech, and he said that while they sell by far more HP
machines than Compaq, 90% of the service work was on Compaq machines! Now what
does that tell you?

--
-Mike
*PGP fingerprint= D2 4F A8 B7 13 D5 73 1E  48 99 40 99 F9 BC 74 74 *